I wrote this on a plane trip from Sydney to Perth and back - well, most of it. On the way over I got a a basic version of it up and running - and had covered off most of the topics from the awesome TonyPa Flash tile-based games series. On the way back I added some more bits and pieces and applied some MS Paint magic to it and called it a day. That was in 2004 (or 5, perhaps).
This weekend I dug it up and put a lil' spit-and-polish on it. It should work in Firefox, Chrome (etc.) and IE7. Although the code looks very 2005, it's not vomit-inducingly bad, which I was impressed about. In fact, the worst code in there is the stuff I threw at it this weekend to get it finished. And I'm pretty sure some of my "refactoring" has introduced a hardcore closure memory leak, but that's something to look at when I next pick up this project again which should be in 2014. Keep an eye out.
Platformers are my favourite 2D genre, so it was fun to do. But I wish had written a level editor for it first - It's tough work hand-editing arrays into playable screens I tells ya.